ONCE UPON A TIME.....Scuba Divers
![]() |
DWIGHT TWILLEY Scuba Divers (EMI America,1982) - Power pop / Rock |
Kicking off with the propulsive rocker "I'm Back Again," which shines thanks to its layering of acoustic and electric guitars, soaring backing vocals, and dramatic tension, Scuba Divers feels like the work of an artist fully in command of their sound, but also in desperate need to get their songs out to the world. This push and pull makes for a record that's rippling with energy, even on the slower songs like the aching midtempo track "Somebody to Love" or the girl group-inspired "Dion Baby." Twilley swings from these kind of songs, where it sounds like he's removed all the protective layers from his soul, to swaggering rockers that are full of joy ("I Found the Magic") and hope ("I Think It's That Girl"). In between are dramatic, slightly more complicated songs like "10,000 American Scuba Divers Dancin'" or the heavy rocker "Cryin' Over Me" that show Twilley and the band -- who include longtime guitarist Bill Pitcock IV and vocalist Susan Cowsill -- stretching their well-established sound in new directions.

Коментари
Постави коментар